Jerry Montres Griffin
Black Male Jerry Griffin Sentenced to serve 25 years without parole
Tuesday, 28 June 2011: Jerry Montres Griffin, 39 years old, from Warner Robins, pleaded guilty to one count of Armed Robbery, one count of Aggravated Battery, one count of Aggravated Assault, one count of Possession of a Firearm during a Crime, one count of Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon, and one count of Attempting to Elude on June 28, 2011.
He was sentenced by Judge Katherine K. Lumsden in the Superior Court of Houston County to 60 years of which 25 years must be served in the Department of Corrections without the possibility of parole. Upon release, Griffin will be supervised by probation for 35 years during which he will be prohibited from possessing firearms, committing any crime of violence, and having victim contact.
In addition, Griffin will be banished from Houston, Peach, and Bibb counties. Griffin was represented by The Public Defender Nick White. Griffin was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Steve Cusick from District Attorney George Hartwig's office.
Griffin had previous felony convictions from Florida for Robbery, Burglary, Possession of Firearm by a Convicted Felon, and Battery on Law Enforcement Officers.
On September 17, 2009, the Warner Robins Police Department and Houston County Sheriff's Office responded to an armed robbery 911 call from the Cigar and Hookah Outlet on Russell Parkway in Warner Robins, GA. Griffin burst into the business, brandished a .32 caliber pistol and forced a store employee to relinquish both cash from the register and cash from the employee's pocket.
Then, Griffin ordered the employee to move to the bathroom. At this point, the store employee bravely attacked Griffin and struggled to gain control of the gun. In the ensuing struggle, Griffin shot the employee through the arm and through the forehead where the bullet ultimately lodged in the employee's sinus cavity.
Griffin fled the scene of the crime with the money and his gun. During a high speed chase, his get-away mini van crashed along highway 41 near Griffin's home. Griffin ran home and hid the money and the gun in his closet. Shortly thereafter, Griffin was apprehended at a neighbor's home as a police helicopter hovered atop him and law enforcement officers swarmed around him.
"WRPD Detective Art Curnutte did an outstanding job interviewing witnesses and sifting through the myriad of forensic evidence these crimes created. Law enforcement officers from multiple local agencies worked together and did a great job. This sentence should send a strong and clear message that armed robbers who shoot unarmed store employees will be apprehended quickly and held accountable despite any attempts to escape justice via high speed vehicle pursuits. ," said District Attorney George H. Hartwig III.
Griffin is currently being held at the Houston County Detention Center awaiting transport by the Georgia Department of Corrections.
- Feral Black Males Wreak Havoc at Waffle House Restaurants
- Haitian Criminal Murders Three after being freed from Deportation
- Five Black Males Accused of Slashing the Throats of White Family
- Waffle House Shooting of Black Male Reginald Smith by Police Justified
- Feral Black Male on Trial in Saginaw Denny's Shooting
- Black Crime Profile in Houston County Georgia
- About Houston County, Georgia
- Feral Black Male Carjacks 87-Year-Old Woman, Sentenced to Life
- Black Male Breaks Probation, Quickly Returned to Jail
- Black Male Johnny Thomas sentenced to 10 years for possession
- Black Male Lester Efford Sentenced to 15 years for Drug Peddling
- Black Male Thomas Alvin Taylor Sentenced to 45 Years for Drug Trafficking
- Black Male Craig R. Rembert Sentenced to 20 Years for Armed Robbery
- Black Male Juan Miquell Hollis Sentenced to 16 Years Without Parole
- Black Male Jerry Griffin Sentenced to serve 25 years without parole
- Black Male Joshua Williams Sentenced to 20 Years for Burglary, Assault
- Black Male Tony Martin Sentenced to 20 years for Burglary
- Black Male's Rampage Results in 40 Year Sentence
- Black Male David Anderson Sentenced to 20 Years for Aggravated Assault
- Black Male Sentenced to 50 Years Without Parole for Child Abuse
- Violent Black Male Gets 45 Years in Houston County, Georgia
- Black Male Kirk Solomon Sentenced to Life
- 997 Oxycodone Tablets Earn White Male William Upton 9 Years
- Black Male Marquis Lowe Sentenced to Life Without Parole for Murder