Optocouplers for TTL-CMOS Logic Level Shifting
Here I'll illustrate using optocouplers to perform voltage logic shifting between TTL and CMOS devices. Optocouplers also isolate output transistor voltages from low-voltage digital logic.
See the following related pages:
- Review Connecting Digital Logic and Transistors
- Bipolar Transistor MOSFET Power Buffer Circuit with Optocouplers
- High Voltage Optocoupler Tri-State Switching Circuit Examples
Fig. 2 PC817 Optocoupler.
An optocoupler is usually an infra-red LED emitter on the input and a photo detector on the output. Here I'm concerned with the most common type with a phototransistor.
Fig. 2 is the PC817 optocoupler. Transistor rating is 80-volts at 30mA. The collect-emitter voltage and current ratings are the main limitation of the device.
Fig. 3 is pin connection for 4N25, 4N26, 4N27, 4N28 optocouplers. The output transistor rating is 70-volts at 50mA.
Functionally it is no different from PC817 other than lower collector current.
When calculating current limit the current to 75% of maximum.
Fig. 4 uses a 4N25 optocoupler to form non-inverting TTL to CMOS logic level shifter.
One should understand the concepts of source and sink.
The switching device will either sink the current, or create a path to ground. The other end of the load if connected to the often positive supply voltage or +Vcc.
In the source configuration the switching device will connect the load to +Vcc.
In Fig. 4 the input is a TTL 5-volt source connection. The output is also a source switching setup.
A HIGH or 5-volts on the input produces a HIGH 15-volts on the output. This is non-inverting - HIGH in is HIGH out. We merely shifted the voltage level.
Fig. 5 uses a 4N25 optocoupler to form non-inverting CMOS to TTL logic level shifter.
Here we have a source input from a 15-volt CMOS circuit to source 5-volt TTL circuit. Again this is non-inverting - HIGH in is HIGH out.
Input is source, output is source.
Fig. 6 uses a 4N25 optocoupler to form non-inverting CMOS to TTL logic level shifter.
We have a sink CMOS input that when LOW turns on the LED. The output is 5-volt TTL goes LOW when the transistor is turned in. This is non-inverting - LOW input is a LOW output.
Input is sink, output is sink.
Fig. 7 uses a 4N25 optocoupler to form inverting TTL to CMOS logic level shifter.
Fig 7 is identical to Fig. 6 other than output circuit we changed the resistor and phototransistor. The logic level is inverted - LOW input produces a HIGH output.
The input is sink, output is source.
Fig. 8 uses a 4N25 optocoupler to form inverting TTL to CMOS logic level shifter.
Input is source and output is sink.
- Tutorial NOR Gate SR Latch Circuits
- Tutorial NAND Gate SR Latch Circuit
- Basic Digital Circuits Tutorials
- High current TTL MOSFET Driver Circuit
- Non-Inverting Tri-State Buffer-Switch Demo Circuit
- Review Connecting Digital Logic and Transistors
- From SR Latch to Microcontroller IO Pin Introduction
- Transistor-MOSFET Switch Circuit with Optocouplers
- High Voltage Optocoupler Tri-State Switching Circuits
- Optocouplers for TTL-CMOS Logic Level Shifting
- Basic TTL Tri-State Buffer Circuit Example 1
- Basic TTL Tri-State Buffer Circuit Example 2
- Transistor Output Non-Inverting Tri-State Switch
- Transistor Output Inverting Tri-State Switch
- Quick navigation main electronics website:
- Basic Electronics Learning and Projects
- Arduino Microcontroller Projects
- Raspberry Pi and Linux
- Connecting a PC Printer Port to Electronics with Python
- Microchip PIC 18F2550
- PICAXE Microcontroller
- Web Master
- Hobby Electronics
- US Constitution
- Religious Themes
- Archive 1
- Bristol VA/TN
What do UN climate experts say about climate change?
"Basically, it is a big mistake to discuss climate policy apart from the big issues of globalization. The climate summit... is not a climate conference, but one of the biggest business conferences since the Second World War ... But one has to be clear: we are effectively redistributing world wealth through climate policy. One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. This has almost nothing to do with environmental policy..."
Bartender and New York Democratic socialist Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says:
"Fighting climate change will be 'the civil rights movement of our generation'. It's inevitable that we will create jobs. We can use the transition to 100 percent renewable energy as the vehicle to truly deliver and establish economic, social and racial justice in the United States of America."
I take them at their word.
- Critical Race Theory is Irrational
- Origins of Socialist Identity Politics
- Science Not a Democracy or Religion
- Scientific Advances Built on Western Culture
- Yes European-American Culture is Superior
- Postmodernism Attacks Reason, Science, and Culture
Web site Copyright Lewis Loflin, All rights reserved.
If using this material on another site, please provide a link back to my site.